This is such an interesting experience. I'm taking classes at
It is mind-boggling to be in a place where the majority of people communicate with sign language. It is kinda weird but I guess I can say what I know what someone who is hearing impaired feels like when they're out on the street. It's like a parallel universe to a certain extent.
I'm taking the school shuttle everyday from the Metro station. Except for some music being played by the driver and a random sound coming from someoneÂs mouth the vehicle is silent. I canÂt help but stare sometimes in trying to decipher what they might be saying because I find it fascinating. Back in High School I tried to learn a bit of sign language, just junior year lunch hour for about a semester, but it really didnÂt work out. It was very challenging to restrict myself in that way; relying on my hands and facial expressions to convey a message.
One of the coolest things about being in this environment is that it breaks so many stereotypes for me. For some reason when I saw deaf individuals on the street talking and such I had the impression that they might be lacking something. In my mind there were all dorks who spent their Saturday nights alone and reading CC on TV. I know, I know thatÂs horrible. While staying at Gallaudet I have seen so many, many hip, super cool looking people. There are the sorority girl-type chicks, the punk-looking folk, the athletes, they geeky-looking ones, the freshmen, etc. It is like any regular university just a bit quieter.
ItÂs awesome. I love this. ItÂs amazing how I came here to learn about project management and along with it have had a completely different personal experience. Obviously this is not the only change but itÂs one I never expected. It is always great when your views about a particular group change by just learning more about it. I have a completely different sense or awareness and respect for the deaf. Man...

No comments:
Post a Comment