この道や行く人なしに秋のくれAlong this road, goes no one, this Autumn eve.I like this haiku a lot. It's one of the most famous ones by Basho. It has most of the things I like in it: solitude, quiet walks, Autumn evening/sunset...I have spent the past 2.5 weeks working and around people constantly. I find that I need to have some quiet time for myself and not being able to do it makes things much more complex. Either I have grown used to it, or I was born with an affinity to solitude. Many people confuse solitude with lonliness. However, I mean solitude; the act of being alone but not necessarily lonely. There are moments were I feel lonely and I'm not alone, so I guess loneliness is irrespective of being accompanied by someone or not.Anyway, I really enjoy my solitude. Maybe that's why I like my room quite a bit. It feels like I can just be and not worry about all that needs to be done. I am a workaholic and that makes me be around people most of the time. I really need to change that. I need to learn to enjoy things without me being involved in the work they entail. Lately I have been trying to say "No" to things that I feel I will not be able to meet and/or enjoy. I am always serving and helping, which is great but sometimes it leaves no time for me to take care of basic things in my life. I wish I had many more hours to devote to whatever comes my way. I want a healthier approach to serving. I need to focus on life/work balance. I think some people overdo it and they're always taking care of themselves, but others, me included, can overdo it the other way around.In any event, Basho's haiku makes me remember those good moments where all one needs is God's spirit showing you the amazing things around you. An empty road, a beautiful quiet Autumn or Winter eve...

No comments:
Post a Comment