A virtuous woman, who can find?
For her worth is far above rubies.
This past Saturday I went to a women's conference at my church. It was great! One, because I got to hang out with my mom, one on one, las dos solitas; and two, because the message was very encouraging to me. The theme was around the virtuous wife in Proverbs 31. Obviously, that doesn't really apply to me because I'm not married, but it is a model that I can implement and exercise now rather than when I get married. I have a long standing connection with that passage which I think reflect a lot of my intentions and many actions in life.
At one point, I was recruited for an interview with a State agency in Boston and decided to go. As I prepared that morning, I was a bit anxious about the whole things, especially when my employer at the time was good friends and a contractor with that agency. As a way to calm myself, I opened by Bible. I chose at random within Proverbs because it's full of wise advice. I am to Proverbs 31 and read it all. I even misread some parts, which I think was God speaking to me, that made me feel rather reassured. I felt God was reassuring me and saying go boldly before for you have my backing and I will make you this virtuous woman.
Regardless of marital status, I really, really want to be one of those virtuous women that I see around me. Women who are bold and strong but coated with this peaceful, gentle, diligent spirit. Women who know who they are and where God is taking them. Women who face adversity with a rock-solid faith and give a word of counsel to those who need it. I long to be wise to mentor others in the right path; to care for others in ways in order to meet my own needs but because out of my spiritual strength my hand stays steady and extended.
I am so going to make a checklist from this and break the passage into tasks and/or concepts that I can apply in practical ways. It sounds so geeky but I think it's a good idea; periodically I will see how I am molding my character to be a wise, virtuous woman. When I get married, I want to give my husband the best of me that I can; and support him in becoming a righteous man. After learning what a marriage in God is, I can't help to think of what a wonderful journey it must be. Not an easy journey in a bubble; but a careful, molding journey in a room full of bubbles, where you have to make sure that you burst them all with your actions. :) So silly, anyway, you get the point--I hope.
I want to be a virtuous woman! And at the risk of sounding arrogant I feel that I have pretty good raw materials to do so. This older gentleman told me yesterday, "You seem like a woman who was born to be a mother and a wife; always industrious" I'm not sure if I was born to be a mother or a wife but I know I was born to be a virtuous woman, and through God I will because His promise is to complete the work he started. :D

No comments:
Post a Comment