I am not a fan of news every night or watching much TV period--except for a novela once in a while and Pimp My Ride reruns when I call in sick to work. Anyway, but I was truly shocked to hear that Peter Jennings had died. I never watched the guy or followed his work but for some odd reason I was truly touched by his death. He seemed to be a man of integrity and great character. He appeared to the very humanistic. Something in the way he spoke that made the news much more bearable--when I happened to watch.
At work, the part-time gig that is, it has been a weird week. People call in asking for resources to quit smoking and various callers have mentioned his death. It is sad because technically it was a sort of suicide--he brought it on himself for smoking for so many years and poisoning his body that way. Nonetheless, it is sad to see how people are afraid of dying but many of them feel completely powerless when it comes to quitting. It is such a hard addiction to break. We had a very emotional supervision meeting. A couple of my colleagues cried. It was somewhat touching although I could not really empathize as much, for although I was touched, I wasn't that touched. Let's hope that smokers have been touched by his death and make a decision to quit despite of how hard it is.
